You are here
Castro Archaeological Site Collection
Search this Collection
The Castro site (8Le151) is located in Leon County, Florida and dates to the Spanish Mission period (ca. 1656-1704). FSU faculty and students conducted excavations at the Castro site in 2000, 2001, and 2002. The majority of the work was geared toward understanding the layout and settlement pattern of the site. The work specifically focused on locating mission-related buildings such as a church and convento.
In 1968, Calvin Jones, then the State Archaeologist for Florida, first recorded the location as a mission site based on the presence of Spanish artifacts. The subsequent survey and excavations directed by FSU Anthropology Professor Dr. Rochelle Marrinan, resulted in the recovery and identification of indigenous artifacts and additional Mission period artifacts and features. This site is likely the location of Santa Cruz de Capoli, but to date the church has not been located.
The materials in this collection belong to FSU’s Department of Anthropology, which under the direction of Dr. Rochelle Marrinan, conducted the investigations at the Castro site.